Thursday, March 16, 2006

1968 FBI Report calls Andy Martin "leading spokesman for conservatism at U. of I."

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

ANDY MARTIN RELEASES 1968 FBI REPORT TO J. EDGAR HOOVER STATING MARTIN IS “ONE OF THE LEADING SPOKESMEN FOR CONSERVATISM AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS”

(CHICAGO)(March 17, 2006) Republican gubernatorial candidate Andy Martin will hold a Chicago news conference Friday March 17th, to release a 1968 FBI report to J. Edgar Hoover, Director of the FBI, calling Martin “one of the leading spokesmen for conservatism at the University of Illinois and an outspoken opponent of the ‘New left.’”

“Normally an FBI letter almost forty years old would not mean much,” Martin will state. “But this ancient document confirms that my conservative credentials represent a lifetime commitment. I have spoken often during the current campaign of my commitment as a young law student at the U. of I. to fighting corruption in Illinois government. Long ago, the FBI recognized that I was zealously committed to conservatism, and opposed to leftist dogma. I still am.

“Not everyone who calls themselves a ‘conservative’ identifies with or agrees with my conservative principles. I take an extremely restrained attitude towards what government should do, and how it should do it. Government is a heavy-handed mechanism under the best of circumstances, and should be imposed on citizens only reluctantly and not with casual regularity.

“The Report to J. Edgar Hoover was written almost 40 years ago; if I have learned anything in 40 years as a conservative it is that we should be ‘conservative’ when imposing government on the American people, and even more conservative when imposing our government on other peoples. That is why I have not hesitated to identify myself with the career of Illinois’ U. S. Senator Everett Dirksen, who was a conservative with caution, and a conservative with a conscience. He grew in office and so would I.

“While I have the highest respect for those who claim to respond to higher standards of morality, such morality often clouds reality. As Governor, I will work to bring people together, and work to proffer sensible, workable solutions to Illinois’ problems.

“On Wednesday a broadcaster in Peoria asked me ‘What are you going to do for me?” ‘Provide honest government,’ I replied. Honest government so you can earn an honest living and live an honest life.

“We approach the end of a campaign where heavy-handed media censorship has sought to erase my lifetime of accomplishment and conservatism. But I will not be erased so easily. The FBI saw in me 40 years ago an honest man who would fight an honest fight for conservatism. They were right then. I am right now to continue that battle. My lifetime commitment continues, and my life is far from over.
“If I am chosen to represent the Republican Party in November, I will take my credentials to the people of Illinois. As a ‘leading spokesman for conservatism’ for 40 years, I think they can trust me to do the right job, and I will trust them to make the right choice. I am the Right Republican for Governor.”

MEDIA CONTACT: Andy Martin Campaign (312) 440-4124

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home