Sunday, January 01, 2006

What to expect on this blog

Most voters have never run for office. They probably never will run for office. They don't have a familiarity with the highways and byways of campaigns. One of the prime duties of a candidate is to respond to questionnaires from interest groups throughout the state. This blog will be an inside look at the types of questions we receive, and how we answer them. We will not be posting my specific responses to the questions; we will be posting my comments and thoughts on critical issues as they arise.

As a Republican, I am a somewhat unusual candidate. I have a strong record of support for civil rights and civil liberties. I am committed to the right to privacy. In today's confused world, some people might characterize such traditional Republican views as "liberal." We often forget that the great civil rights laws of the 1960's only passed with the strong support of Illinois' own Everett McKinley Dirksen, and that more Republicans than Democrats supported the end to segregation. Thus, I view myself as a mainstream, traditional, Dirksonian conservative Republican.

Looked at from a more modern perspective, I am also extremely conservative when it comes to supporting the Second Amendment. I view the Second Amendment as one of the bedrocks of our democracy, a recognition by the founders that citizens retained significant rights, among them the right to defend their homes, their property, their lives and their families without interference from the government. That is why the founders made the Second Amendment part of the Bill of Rights.

This blog will discuss and define my complex views on the issues, and how I would lead the State of Illinois as Governor. I hope that after reading my comments you too will agree I am "the Right Republican for Governor."

Unlike my opponents, most of whom will probably rely on staff assistants to manage their blogs, I will be writing all of my own comments. You get me, unfiltered. I will be reviewing your responses, unfiltered too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home